Could Strip FUT be for you?
Strip FUT is ideally suited to patients suffering from advanced hair loss who require large amounts of grafts. We nonetheless recommend a personal consultation to ensure that it is the right treatment for you.
Steps involved in Strip FUT:
Strip FUT procedures usually follow the following steps from start to finish:
- Depending on the area to be treated and the number of grafts that need to be transferred, the procedure can take from 4 to 10 hours.
- You will be given a mild sedative and local anaesthesia in both the donor and recipient areas.
- There might be some mild discomfort when giving the first one or two local anaesthetic injections. Further injections should not be felt as we have devised our unique way of injecting the anaesthesia, using ultra fine needles and injectors. The rest of the procedure should not put you in any discomfort.
- Once the anaesthetic has had its full effect, the procedure begins with a thin strip of scalp containing healthy hair follicles being removed with the aid of high magnification.
- With the aid of the stereoscopic dissecting microscopes, the strip is then divided into individual follicular unit grafts (each measuring approximately 1mm in width) – the use of microscopes means that about 30% more hair is harvested than through the use of older techniques.
- While this is happening, small incision sites are made in the recipient area of the scalp using a variety of tiny blades and, when ready, the follicular unit grafts are individually inserted. Again, no discomfort is experienced during this step.
- The grafts are blended in amongst the thinning or balding areas in such a way as to match all the natural growing characteristics of your original hair.
- The site from where the donor strip was sourced is closed using two layers of sutures or stitches. The scar normally heals to form a thin, vague and hard to detect scar amongst your permanent hair.
- We usually use a special type of skin closure knows as trichophytic closure. This involves trimming one edge of the incision prior to closing it, so that when the opposing edge of the cut is joined to the trimmed edge, hairs from the trimmed edge grow through the resulting scar, effectively camouflaging its appearance further.
- The entire procedure is very clean and, when completed, no bandages or dressings are usually needed.
- Within half an hour of completion, you can be on your way home . We strongly advise you not to drive if possible. We can happily arrange transportation to and from the clinic if needed.
- Multiple breaks are given throughout the day. Lunch and refreshments are provided, as well as a choice of entertainment material to make the time spent more enjoyable.